Fair
80°FFairFull Forecast

Dalzell's Blakely Subdivision comes under scrutiny

Published: Friday, March 16, 2012 11:40 a.m. CDT • Updated: Friday, March 16, 2012 11:41 a.m. CDT

DALZELL — Dalzell Village Board received clarification on tax increment financing district payments for the Blakely Subdivision at Wednesday’s board meeting.

“We continue to pay the costs already approved,” attorney Herb Klein said.

The Blakely Subdivision agreement was created in 1995 to pay for work done to create the subdivision. The developers submitted more than $2.5 million in expenses, but only a little more than $1 million was approved for TIF reimbursement.

Approved work consisted of a sanitary sewer lift station, water main and roadway construction, according to Klein. Village board members wanted clarification on who the payments went to. Klein said the check was made out to First State Bank and not an individual.

“What they do with it after that is their business,” Klein said.

The developers get 75 percent of the TIF money with the village receiving the remaining 25 percent. Though development at the subdivision and the TIF district has been stagnant for years, the city has to pay for the approved work, which is expected to take until 2017.

The village board is considering an extension of the TIF district, which is set to expire in 2018. That matter was tabled until the next meeting.In other business:

• Charlie Ellerbrock, representing the family of longtime Dalzell resident Bonnie Ellerbrock, gave the village a check for $1,000 to go toward improvements and programs at the village park. Bonnie Ellerbrock died in February, and the money came from a memorial fund in her name. Charlie Ellerbrock said his mother enjoyed going to the park, watching the baseball games and seeing the people.

• The village donated $25 to Special Olympics.

• The next village board meeting is set for 7 p.m. April 11.

Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com.

More News

National Video