It’s official. Today is the first day of spring. If your yard looks like mine, the place is alive with new beginnings. I hope you have an opportunity to take a walk through the neighborhood and see our world coming to life after the so-called winter slumber. For me, spring is such an invigorating season — a fresh beginning. Enjoy every minute!
So what’s the BigDeal? I hope you’ve been able to take advantage of some of the BCR’s BigDeals! These weekly deals are geared to save you some cash. Following are the two deals we have for you this week:
• Ready to put away that winter coat for the season? Get $20 worth of cleaning services for $10 at Family Pride Cleaners in Peru.
• Had a stressful day, week, month? Get a one hour, full body massage at Kathy’s Country Massage in Malden for only $22.50, regularly priced at $45.
Checkered Flag Challenge: Bristol was another exciting race in the early laps, beatin’ and bangin’ in Thunder Valley. Brad Keselowski came out of it victorious for the second year in a row. This week the circuit travels out west to Fontana, Calif., for the Auto Club 400. This two-mile, D-shaped oval is sure to give us a great race. If you haven’t signed up for our Checkered Flag Challenge, you still have time, and lots of great prizes are still available for those who can pick a winning team each week. Log onto www.bcrnews.com and click on the contest tab at the top. We use your best 15 races of the season to determine your overall season score in November. So pick your team today and see if you have what it takes to win it all!
With warmer weather comes a few safety issues. I know there were a few motorcycle crashes this past weekend, so please look and look again for motorcycles and bicycles too. Also, spring means the farmers will be out, so be patient with slow-moving vehicles and know there may be one just over the hill or around the curve. Finally, don’t forget that warm weather equals excited children, who are anxious to be outside. Allow yourself a few extra minutes in your travels.
Today is Election Day. Have you voted yet? Remember you don’t have to declare a particular party, if you just want to vote on referendums on the ballot. Watch the BCR’s website Tuesday night for local election returns. Find us at www.bcrnews.com.
Thought for today: “For every person who has ever lived there has come, at last, a spring he will never see. Glory then in the springs that are yours.” Pam Brown.
Can you help us with a story or two? Following are some stories we are working on; if you know someone who would be a perfect fit for one of these features, let us know.
• Is your job title, “Professional Pet Sitter?” If so, we’d like to tell readers about you and your job in honor of Professional Pet Sitter Week in March. Contact BCR Senior Staff Writer Donna Barker at 815-875-4461, ext. 244, or email her at email@example.com.
• Are you a master of the Sleeper, the Walk the Dog or the Around the World? If so, we know you are a yo-yo enthusiast, and we’d like to feature you in an upcoming story to celebrate Yo-Yo Week on March 21-25. Contact BCR Staff Writer Barb Kromphardt at 815-875-4461, ext. 242, or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• It’s that time of year when road work will be the norm, rather than the exception. Are you a woman who works in the construction industry. If so, we’d like to feature you in honor of March’s Women in Construction Week. Contact BCR Senior Staff Writer Donna Barker at 815-875-4461, ext. 244, or email her at email@example.com.
Take time to notice the beauty of the season. And remember ... you are important to me and the BCR.