OHIO — The Ohio Grade School Board took action on the following items at its meeting March 20:
• Discussed buses currently owned by the district. Superintendent Sharon Sweger said Bus 6 is one of the oldest buses and is starting to show some rust. Sweger has been talking with Midwest Bus about either purchasing a new bus or leasing a bus from them. Board member Robert Albrecht asked her to check into how depreciation on the state transportation report would be affected, and would reimbursement be more or less with leasing instead of buying? Sweger will bring back that information next month.
• Approved Dr. Arnold Faber to come conduct sports physicals (approximately 31 students) at 9 a.m. May 2. This is a free service to the students provided by the district.
• Approved 2012-13 school calendar as presented pending high school board approval.
• Approved giving Sweger the authority to submit the school maintenance grant for installation of windows and tuck-pointing.
• Heard the state is behind a total of $17,621 in payments to the district.
• Heard Sweger has partnered with McDonald’s to provide incentive and award coupons for various benchmarks throughout the year. Students will receive coupons for anything from ice cream cones to large sandwiches to recognize their efforts in attendance, honor roll, principal recognition, school bus safety, reading books and math awards. There are also coupons for staff for birthday recognition and special acknowledgments as well as coupons to thank the PTO members.
• Heard the district has purchased a floor scrubbing machine which scrubs and picks up the water. This will cut the custodian’s time by one-third when cleaning the auditorium and halls.
• Heard asbestos will be tested in areas of future projects.
• Heard the awards breakfast/awards assembly was held March 9. Principal Mark Downey was pleased that about 50 people attended, and he said PTO members Kim Younge and Lori Kennedy do a nice job organizing this event.
• Heard the Academic/Scholastic Bowl BVEC Tournament was held March 12. Ohio had 12 students who participated this year.
• Heard the variety show was held March 16. Between the grade and high school students, plus the high school class skits, there were 18 acts total. Downey said there was a good crowd, and it was a very nice evening for the students, friends and families.
• Heard track has 12 students participating.
• Heard the BVEC Art Contest was held March 10. In watercolors, Jasmine Kahly received a second-place ribbon and Jacob Fitzpatrick an honorable mention ribbon; in pottery, Haley Monier received an honorable mention; and in self portrait, Jacob Fitzpatrick received a second-place ribbon.
• Approved renewal of Downey’s two-year contract pending high school board approval.
The next meeting will be at 7 p.m. April 17 in the school library.