METAMORA — Wouldn’t it be lovely to see some things made of wood that are no longer in use?
The Metamora Courthouse State Historic Site, in concert with the Myers, Smyth, Keely Library, has put together a show of things made of wood from the 1700s into the early 1900s, items that are rarely seen today.
Items from toys to tools to domestic items that might be hard for some to identify are on display throughout the courthouse, although most of the exhibit is on the building’s accessible first floor.
A quiz with prizes may be taken by those who would like to try identifying some of the stranger artifacts. Visitors are asked to figure out which is the schmoosher, the peel, shillelagh, the triptych, the kneading trough, weasel and the “husband beater.” There is also a slaver’s whip woven out of one piece of wood, an inlaid music box and Native American weaving shuttles.
The exhibit may be seen during the courthouse’s regular hours, from 1 to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, or other times by appointment.
For more information, contact Jean Myers, curator, at 309-367-4470 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Groups of 10 or more should call in advance.
The Metamora Courthouse State Historic Site, administered by the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency, was built in 1845 and is one of two remaining original courthouses on the historic Eighth Judicial Circuit. Attorney Abraham Lincoln was among those who frequented the courthouse. It is located on the town square in Metamora and is open for free public tours.