OHIO — The Ohio Grade School Board took action on the following items at its meeting Sept. 25:
• Approved the Fiscal Year 2013 budget as presented.
• Approved the salary percentages of shared faculty and staff as presented.
• Approved the Application for Recognition of Schools.
• Heard the audit report would be presented at the October meeting.
• Approved Superintendent Sharon Sweger and Principal Jason Wilt as qualified evaluators.
• Approved the Itemized Salary Compensation Report.
• Heard the tuck-pointing is complete for the year.
• Heard there are about five high school students and 15 grade school students eating breakfast each morning. Malissa Leslie has volunteered to serve the meals to the students.
• Heard the Title I Grant was increased this year from $12,000 to $35,000 due to the district's poverty rates. The district will use this money to add a Title I Math Program, purchase three laptops computers for the Title I reading room, purchase scientifically proven instructional programs and a parenting program and staff development.
• Heard school board elections will be April 9, 2013. Terms are expiring for Robert Albrecht, Janet Johnson, Cori Thomas, Donna Popp and Dave Spohn. Forms are available now, and the filing period for candidates will be Dec. 17-24.
• Heard the girls eighth-grade volleyball team won the BVEC tournament. They defeated Bureau Valley South to win the championship.
• Discussed admission of board members into sports events. The consensus was that board members do not get many perks, so they may attend any games at Ohio for free.
• Approved Sarah Hansen’s (fifth grade teacher) maternity leave of 12 weeks, from about Nov. 12 until Feb. 4, 2013. The board approved Brandy Grobe as long-term substitute for Hansen.
The next regularly scheduled meeting will be at 7 p.m. Oct. 16 in the school library.