Bureau Valley School Board
MANLIUS — The Bureau Valley School Board took action on the following items at its meeting Oct. 15:
• Heard from Bureau Valley South Principal Kristal LeRette that the school did not make Adequate Yearly Progress in reading, and is focusing on its subgroups of students who are low income or have special needs. Interim Superintendent Dennis Thompson said that just because the school didn’t make AYP, it didn’t mean good teaching wasn’t going on. He encouraged people to look at more than just the group score. Board member Don DeWaele said he was proud of the staff, and that making AYP was a necessary burden. “It’s a load on your back that you have to constantly be looking at,” he said. “I hate it, but we can’t get away from it.” BVS’ percentage of low income students has increased from 31.9 percent in 2006 to 54.3 percent in 2012.
• Heard from Bureau Valley North Principal Sandra Beitsch that the school made AYP.
• Heard from Bureau Valley High School Principal Eric Lawson that the school did not make AYP. Lawson said the staff knows there are challenges to face. “We know the hoops that we have to jump through, but we’re trying,” he said. Interim Superintendent Jim Whitmore said Bureau Valley and most of the rest of the schools in the country are doing a great job. “These people do a great job,” he said. “This is the best place in the world to educate kids, to get kids involved.”
• Approved the following graduation times and dates: BVN - 7 p.m. May 24, 2013; BVS - 7 p.m. May 25, 2013; and high school - 3 p.m. May 26, 2013.
• Amended the voting boundaries. Thompson said the new maps will be posted at area post offices and school buildings.
• Approved the following snow removal bids: Harry Guither, $69/hour - high school; Dave Garland, $85/hour - BVN; and Nathan Headly, $60/hour - BVS. Thompson said Garland’s was the only bid received for BVN.
• Approved the employment of Corey Gruber, freshman boys basketball coach; Tiffany Gonigam, Varsity Club co-sponsor; and Karen Henderson, Junior Class sponsor.
• Approved extending interim superintendents’ contracts for Thompson and Whitmore for an additional 100 days each for the 2013-14 school year at $500/day.
The next regular meeting will be at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 19 in the district administrative office in Manlius.