Ohio High School
OHIO — The Ohio High School Board took action on the following items at its meeting Dec. 17:
• Heard a question from Linda Beattie regarding any new classes for next year. Superintendent Sharon Sweger said next year’s schedule has not yet been discussed.
• Approved Cheeseman Coaches to transport students on April 13 to the prom activities.
• Approved mandatory Homework Hall beginning the second semester. It is for students receiving a D or F in a class. Times will be in the morning from 7 to 7:45 a.m. or in the afternoon from 3:15 to 4 p.m. There will be a sign up sheet to keep track of attendance, and if a student does not show up for Homework Hall they will be given a detention.
• Approved new waste contract with Illinois Valley Waste (which is less costly to the district) pending grade school board approval.
• Heard the high school enrollment decreased by two students to 32 from last month’s 34 students.
• Heard Sweger had invited all of the teachers into her office to look at the sample windows available to choose from. The majority of the teachers have preferred the double hung window. The biggest concern facing the awning type window is the lack of air flow and the aesthetics because there must be an egress window which would mean one double hung in each classroom and the rest being awning.
• Heard the district didn’t qualify for the bus grant discussed at last month’s board meeting.
• Heard that given the recent events in Connecticut, Sweger and Principal Jason Wilt reviewed building security procedures and gave attention to keeping all doors locked, and getting keys to give subs so they will be able to lock down the door of the classroom they are subbing in. Wilt reviewed procedures with the teachers in a staff meeting.
• Heard the Christmas Concert was held Dec. 12. Wilt said he was very impressed with what a great job teacher Patrick Anderson and the students did. He felt there was a great turnout and that the music program is definitely headed in the right direction.
• Heard the PTO sponsored a Santa’s Workshop on Dec. 13-14. Wilt said he would like to thank an anonymous donor who helped kids who would not otherwise have been able to purchase anything for their families.
• Voted to retain the executive session minutes from the Nov. 26, 2012, meeting.
• Employed Robert Kleist as part-time bus driver pending certification and grade school board approval.
The next regularly scheduled meeting will be at 7 p.m. Jan. 28 in the school library.