Nearly 60 Bureau County residents are running for their school boards at the April 9 election.
Contested races are set for Bureau Valley School District 5, Cherry Grade, Hall High School, LaMoille Community School, Malden Community Consolidated School, Princeton Elementary and Spring Valley Elementary.
The candidates for those positions are as follows:
• Bureau Valley: Kent Siltman for District 1; Don DeWaele for District 2; Donald King for District 3; Rick Cernovich for District 4; Roger Craine for District 5; Justin Yepsen for District 5; Shelly Teske for District 6; Myron Rumbold for District 7. Incumbents are Siltman, DeWaele, Cernovich, Craine and Rumbold. The only contested race is in District 5 between Craine and Yepsen.
• Cherry Grade School: Six candidates are seeking four seats in the April election. Those candidates are incumbents Wendy Raef, Deb Brokaw, Jim Lower and Craig Mitchell and newcomers Alexa Doll and Al Hahn.
• Dalzell Grade: One open board seat. No candidates filed.
• DePue Unit School: DePue has four open seats with four incumbents seeking re-election. Those candidates are Juan Ruiz, Nickole Barto, Laurie Delgado and Jason Hayes.
• Hall High School: Six candidates have filed petitions for three open seats on the Hall High School Board. Those candidates are incumbents John Picatto Jr., Betsy Sobin and Marty Herrmann and newcomers Rick Piontek and Tim Trevier.
• Ladd Community School: Incumbents John Piccatto, Sr., Marie Giordano, Paul Quinn and Robert Morrow are all running for re-election for the four open board seats.
• LaMoille Community School: There are four openings on the LaMoille School Board. Incumbent Mary Ann Schwingle and newcomers Kevin Hildebrand, Roger Moore and Earl Stuepfert are running for the three four-year terms. Incumbent Mary Taylor is running for the unexpired two-year term.
• Malden Community Consolidated: Malden Grade School has three openings with four candidates running for those board seats. Those candidates are Mary Joiner, Jim May, Tawna Marciniak and Jonathan Ross. All would be newcomers to the board.
• Ohio Grade: Three candidates are seeking the three open four-year terms on the board. They are incumbents Robert Albrecht, Corinne Thomas and David Spohn. There are also two unexpired terms with no candidates filing for those positions.
• Ohio High: Three candidates have filed for four open seats on the high school board, all for four-year terms. Those candidates are incumbents Carol DeBruhl, Brock Kaecker and Robert Gonigam.
• Princeton Elementary: Five candidates have filed for four open seats. Those candidates are incumbents Doris Hamilton, Terry O’Neil and Judson Lusher and newcomers Heather Sampson and Elizabeth Arkels.
• Princeton High: Incumbents Colleen Sailer and John Young have filed packets for re-election for the two open board seats.
• Spring Valley Elementary: Six candidates are running for four open four-year term board seats. They are Jim Faletti, Greg Case, Raymond Nolasco, Tom Vallero, Ted Urbanski and Jim Scarpaci. Incumbents are Nolasco, Scarpaci, Faletti, Case and Urbanski. There is also a two-year position with no candidate seeking that position.
Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com.