Bureau Valley School Board 12-17
MANLIUS — The Bureau Valley School Board took action on the following items at its meeting Dec. 17:
- Adopted the 2012 tax levy as presented. The levy reflects a 5.2 percent increase in the district's equalized assessed valuation, from $111,000 to $117,000. The tax will increase about 3 cents, to $5.38. The levy reflects one-time reductions in the amount levied for retirement and Social Security.
• Observed a moment of silence in memory of the school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
• Heard from resident Ken Bolin on his concerns for school building safety. Bolin asked the board to consider getting a bid for bulletproof windows and doors and to consider allowing interested staff members to carry a gun to school.
• Heard a presentation from teacher Emily Matko on her environmental science class' renewable energy unit, explaining the students studied and viewed the school turbine, along with nuclear and solar energy.
• Heard from senior Michael Lotspeich on his involvement as a member of the Illinois State Board of Education's Student Advisory Council. His group is to work with school districts on finances.
• Heard from building principals on a high incidence of illnesses the past two weeks. Successful Christmas programs and community events were held throughout the district, and holiday cards were sent to military troops. Staff and administrators are working on school improvement plans in the buildings. Interim Superintendent James Whitmore praised all the staff and students for their educational efforts and community volunteerism.
* Heard the high school agriculture department has completed renovation and landscaping of the high school sign and were thanked for their efforts.
• Heard playgrounds and backstops are currently under upgrades. Many local businesses and volunteers are completing the work at all site,s and the board expressed its gratitude to all who have helped.
• Renewed the Ag Boosters lease agreement at $100 per acre.
- Approved School Improvement Plans as presented by BV South and high school principals.
• Employed Maranda Coomer as BV North classroom aide.