Fair
42°FFairFull Forecast

Princeton postal carrier resigns in midst of investigation

Published: Friday, Jan. 11, 2013 5:32 p.m. CDT • Updated: Friday, Jan. 11, 2013 6:16 p.m. CDT

PRINCETON — A Princeton mail carrier has resigned from the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) apparently as the result of an investigation into the carrier.

On Friday morning, Beverly Howard, customer relations coordinator for the Central Illinois District of the USPS, confirmed the carrier is no longer employed by the postal service, with the carrier resigning Friday morning.

On Thursday, several Princeton Post Office customers along the carrier’s route received a letter informing them of the investigation and returning to the customers pieces of mail which had been apparently part of the investigation. The letter was sent by the USPS Office of Inspector General (OIG), and signed by Ryan Petry, special agent with the OIG.

The one-paragraph letter read:

“The enclosed mail was recovered incident to an investigation conducted by the United States Postal Service Office of Inspector General. The individual responsible for the possible delay in delivery of this mail may be subject to administrative action as well as possible criminal prosecution. The Postal Service and the USPS OIG regret any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the delay of this mail.”

Howard said she did not have further information as to how long a time period the investigation covered, the mail route involved in the investigation, or how many pieces of mail were involved. The investigation is being handled by the OIG.

On Friday morning, Princeton Postmaster Shannon Mattingly said she was not able to comment on anything regarding the letter or the on-going investigation.

Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com.

Editor’s note: The BCR was not able to make contact with the OIG by press time Friday. The BCR will continue its coverage as more information becomes available.

More News

National Video