PRINCETON — The investigation continues into a Princeton mail carrier who has resigned from his job, apparently as a result of the investigation.
On Wednesday, Assistant Special Agent Bob Brooks with the U.S. Office of Inspector General (OIG), said the investigation is currently ongoing into the former Princeton carrier. At this time, the OIG is looking into the evidence of the case. When completed, the OIG report will be submitted to the U.S. Postal Service management to determine if any criminal charges are warranted, Brooks said.
Because the investigation is ongoing, Brooks said he could not comment on the time frame involved in the possible alleged misconduct of the Princeton carrier, the amount of mail involved, or when the OIG investigation began or when it is expected to be completed.
On Friday, Beverly Howard, customer relations coordinator for the Central Illinois District of the USPS, confirmed the carrier is no longer employed by the postal service, having resigned that morning.
Last week, on Jan. 10, some Princeton Post Office customers along the carrier’s route received a one-paragraph letter informing them of the investigation and returning to the customers pieces of mail which had been apparently part of the investigation.
Sent by the OIG, the letter stated, in part, that the individual responsible for the possible delay in delivery of the mail may be subject to administrative action as well as possible criminal prosecution.
Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com.