PRINCETON — University of Illinois Extension – Bureau, LaSalle, Marshall, Putnam Unit will host a workshop on soil fertility from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Feb. 15. It will be taught via distance education and feature specialists from Illinois and Missouri. An application has been made for five hours of CCA continuing education credits in nutrient management. Pre-registration is required by Feb. 13. The program will be presented via Latitude Bridge at the Bureau County Extension Office, 850 Thompson Street, Princeton. Registration is $50 per person and includes a meal, refreshments and handouts. To register for the workshop call the Bureau County Extension Office at 815-875-2878. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate, please indicate when calling/registering. Topics and speakers include:
• Successful Nitrogen Management (how N rate, timing, source, and additives affect success), Peter Scharf, University of Missouri Extension.
• Secondary and Micronutrients (which ones and how do you know you might need them?), Robert Bellm, U of I Extension.
• How CEC and Soil Nutrients are Related (why CEC is an important tool in determining your fertility goal), Pete Fandel, Illinois Central College.
• Using Precision Farming Tools to Improve Nutrient Management, Dennis Bowman, U of I Extension.
• Phosphorus and Potassium Budgets (correctly accounting for what’s in the field and what’s coming out), Fabian Fernandez, U of I Extension.