CHICAGO — Deciding what to do if you receive a tax refund is an important decision in this economy. The Better Business Bureau serving Chicago and Northern Illinois (BBB) advises consumers to consider a few options that can provide some long-term financial benefits.
• Pay down your debt. Use your refund for some much needed debt relief such as paying off a credit card, a car loan or a home equity loan.
• Consider savings options. It may be beneficial to put the money into a savings account, CD or retirement fund and allow it to grow.
• Consider investing in your home. Using the money to spruce up your house may add to its property value.
• Donate to Charity. You may want to donate some of your tax refund to a charitable organization.
• If debt is a problem, consider a credit counselor. Certified consumer credit counseling agencies can assist people who are facing financial challenges and are looking for debt relief.