DEPUE – DePue School Board accepted the canvass of votes from the April election and voted to convene the old board on Wednesday.
Superintendent Randy Otto reviewed the number of votes each running candidate received. For the three, four-year seats: Nickole Barto received 218 votes; Laurie Delgado received 239 votes; and Jason Hayes received 249 votes. For the one, two-year seat, Joe Ruiz beat Paul Bosnich III with 169 votes to Bosnich’s 41 votes. The new board was officially seated and newly-elected board members read their required oath of office. No new members sit on the board, however, one seat is open and will have to be filled by an appointment made by the board.
The new board nominated and voted Delgado as board president, Hayes as vice president and Barto as secretary. The board also nominated and voted board member Juan Ruiz as IASB governing board representative.
In other news, the board:
• Approved changes to the athletic handbook. The changes include increasing both junior high and high school cheerleading squads from 10 members to 12. The change goes into effect next year.
• Approved proposed changes to parent/student handbook. The changes cover conduct on the district’s work-release program.
• Approved the Fiscal Year 2013-14 fee schedule. Otto pointed out one change in the fees. The price of lunch for elementary and high school students and adults increased from $2.50 to $2.60. Otto said the change is mandatory and required to fit federal government expectations.
• Accepted with regret the resignation of Rosemary Goossens as junior high math teacher.
• Accepted the resignation of Jim Barto as high school girls basketball coach.
• Hired Keith Garcia as high school cross country coach, Amy Fischer as junior high volleyball coach, Josh Johnson as junior high boys basketball coach and Angie Richardson as junior high girls basketball coach.
Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com.