It seems like my backyard changed overnight. With the warmer weather during the weekend, the daffodils and early tulips are blooming, the lilac has a host of tender, tiny leaves and the grass is brilliant green and lush. You gotta love spring ... truly a season of second chances, isn’t it?
What’s the BigDeal? Every week, the Bureau County Republican offers readers an opportunity to save some cash with deals from area establishments. You can find our BigDeals! on our website at www.bcrnews.com. Following is this week’s BigDeal!:
• At Sophisticuts Salon And Wellness Boutique in Princeton, you can get a wellness massage for only $22.50, available from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Wednesdays and Sundays only. This is a great deal, since it’s regularly priced at $45. Check it out and be prepared to relax!
The Bureau County Republican needs a little help with a couple of stories we are working on; if you know of someone that would be a great fit for the following two stories, give BCR Staff Writers Donna Barker and Goldie Currie a call or email them.
• Are you an area man who has his own “man cave?” You know ... an area in your home, basement or garage reserved just for you. Or maybe you are the wife of a “man cave” owner? Either way, the Bureau County Republican wants to share your “man cave” with other readers in an upcoming special section in the BCR. Call BCR Senior Staff Writer Donna Barker at 815-875-4461, ext. 244, or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• May 21 is National Waiters and Waitresses Day which recognizes the value and importance of a good waiter or waitress. The BCR would like to do a story about a waiter or waitress who enjoys their job and would be willing to share their career with other BCR readers. Contact BCR Staff Writer Goldie Currie at 815-875-4461, ext. 236, or email her at email@example.com.
Customer Service Kudos: Do you know a person or business that delivers great customer service? If so, send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, so I can help you recognize their efforts. Following are the Kudos I received this week:
• Barb said her Kudos go to Pigati Builders in LaSalle. “I asked a friend for someone good and honest, and I not only got that plus affordable and incredibly quick. I’d recommend this contractor to anyone!”
• Connie said her Kudos go to Kramer’s Kitchen in Princeton. “Besides a great meal, this place makes you feel like you’re eating at a good friend’s house. Everybody is so nice, and you leave feeling like the employees are glad you came.”
It’s really a busy time of the year with lots of activities on the calendar. This weekend, there are a some really great activities I want to mention.
• The Convoy for Cancer, organized by my buddy Phil Hocking, is set for Saturday on Ladd’s Main Street. The event is free and features a huge, big truck show along with entertainment, food, activities, door prizes and more. All the proceeds from this annual event go to the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life. Check out our story on Page 3.
• Also this Saturday, you’ll want to attend the Be the Match marrow community drive hosted by Bureau County Illinois Thrivent Board from 9 a.m. to noon at the Bureau County Metro Center and Zearing Park, both in Princeton. Find out if you’re a match for a person in need of a marrow transplant. See our story on Page 4.
• And don’t forget the Bureau Valley High School’s Plant Sale, hosted by the school’s botany class and FFA, that runs from 8 a.m. to noon on Saturday. Great plants, great prices, great fundraiser for great kids.
Enjoy your spring! Breathe. Exhale. And remember ... you are important to me and the BCR.