Partly Cloudy
42°FPartly CloudyFull Forecast

Case sent to Attorney General

PRINCETON — The completed report of the investigation into a former Princeton postal carrier has been turned over to the U.S. Attorney General’s office.

On Monday, Assistant Special Agent Bob Rukes with the U.S. Office of Inspector General (OIG), said the OIG’s investigation into the former Princeton carrier has been forwarded to the U.S. Attorney General’s office for criminal prosecution consideration. No time frame was given as to when that consideration could be completed.

The former Princeton mail carrier resigned from his job in January, apparently as a result of the OIG investigation into the carrier.

On Jan. 10, Princeton Post Office customers along the carrier’s route received a one-paragraph letter from the OIG informing them of the investigation and returning to the customers pieces of mail which had been apparently part of the investigation.

The letter stated, in part, that the individual responsible for the possible delay in delivery of the mail may be subject to administrative action as well as possible criminal prosecution.

Beverly Howard, customer relations coordinator for the Central Illinois District of the U.S. Postal Service, said the final OIG report is sent to the Central Illinois District, but since the Princeton carrier voluntarily resigned, there was no administrative action for the district to take. The OIG also sends a report to the Office of Attorney General for review. If there are going to be any criminal charges brought against the former Princeton carrier, those charges would be brought by the Attorney General’s office, Howard said.

Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com.

Comments

More News

Comments

National Video