SPRINGFIELD – Six Illinois sites operated by the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency have extended their schedules for the convenience of travelers taking advantage of spring and summer weather.
The sites now open seven days a week are:
• Cahokia Mounds in Collinsville (through October)
• Lewis and Clark in Hartford (through Labor Day)
• Lincoln-Herndon Law Office in Springfield (through Labor Day)
• Lincoln Tomb and War Memorials in Springfield (through September)
• Lincoln’s New Salem near Petersburg (through September)
• Old State Capitol in Springfield (through Labor Day)
In addition, two sites are opening for the season are the Carl Sandburg site in Galesburg and the Pierre Menard Home in Ellis Grove. Both will be open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. until the end of October. The Menard Home will be open Wednesday through Sunday, while Sandburg will operate Thursday through Sunday.
All historic sites and monuments run by the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency are free for visitors, although donations are accepted.
For more information, please visit www.illinoishistory.gov/.