PRINCETON — The Princeton Elementary School Board met May 20 and conducted the following business:
In other business, the board:
• Conducted a hearing to amend the district's health life safety plan for work in the bus loading/unloading area at Logan Junior High.
• Set a special meeting for 5 p.m. June 24 (two hours before the regular meeting at 7 p.m.) to hear from the DLR Group of Chicago, an architectural firm the board hired to evaluate the district's needs assessment.
• Heard first readings on recommended changes to board policies, including specific language in background checks for employees and student teachers, and the prohibition of any school employee smoking during any school event — whether that employee is on school grounds or at a school event out of town.
• Heard Logan Principal J.D. Orwig talk about student handbook changes, which he described as minimal. Of those changes, the district will subscribe to an academic-based detention system which is geared to help students remedy their academic issues.
• Retained Hopkins & Associates of Princeton as the district's auditor at $10,200 for the 2013-14 school year and Zukowski Law Offices of Peru as the district's legal counsel for a monthly $50 retainer and an average of $190 an hour.
• Granted Nicole Nyman an eight-week maternity leave at the beginning of the 2013 school year and hired Lisa Bettner as board secretary to replace Sandie Hall; Samantha Farb as the band/choral director for a one-year period; Larissa Bickett as assistant track coach, seventh-grade girls basketball coach and girls basketball athletic director; Scott Vrana as seventh-grade boys basketball coach and seventh-grade boys B team basketball coach; and Spencer Davis as eighth-grade girls basketball coach.