Summer 2013 starts tomorrow! Shoot!
My first thought is I should have worked harder on my “beach body;” my second thought consists of several goals I should try and accomplish this season.
As a 25 year old, I still like to think summer is this endless season filled with lots of discovering, changing and dreams of “anything can happen.”
In reality, however, my last couple summers have been anything but a dreamland.
More like work, complaining it’s too hot, more work, thoughts of cutting off my hair because it’s hot and I’m bored; then it’s back-to-school time and “hello” Labor Day.
The last couple Septembers, I’ve sat disappointed with uneven tan lines from my work clothes and have asked myself why I didn’t go here and there or do this and that like I had wanted to do? I’ll admit, my last couple rounds of summertime dreams have been either wasted or unfulfilled.
This year, I’m coming to terms with my pattern and making a list of things I have to accomplish to make my summer feel worth it. Summer 2013 is the summer I make time for myself and not watch time fly by.
A few items topping my to-do list follow:
1. Read five novels: When I graduated college a few years back, I felt excited to be able to dive into my bookshelves and read away the books I had collected during my college years. Sad to say, but I haven’t dove very deep in that stack. I like to blame my work schedule a lot, but this summer can mark a new start for me as I plan to get back to books and read at least five titles (I have to start somewhere).
2. Dust off my bike and hit the trails: If I didn’t have a career that required me to have a car everyday, most likely you’d see me on my bike more often. Unfortunately, this isn’t so, and my bike sits in a corner collecting spiderwebs. This summer I’d like to make it habit to get my bike out and wear it out a little bit. I could use the exercise, fresh air and confidence that I can get somewhere with out a vehicle.
3. Explore the state: This summer marks three years I’ve been an Illinois resident. I have to give myself credit that I’ve learned more about Bureau County than some lifelong residents, however, I know very little about what surrounds the county borders. I plan to do a little exploring on the scenic byway, I want to see the capital building, view Chicago from the sky deck and see what all the talk is about with Galena’s downtown shopping district.
4. Visit my grandparents: Although it’s tough to say, I recognize my days and visits with the good ole g-parents are limited these days, therefore, I have to take advantage of all the opportunities I have left. This summer, I’m throwing out the excuses, jumping in the car and making the trip back to Michigan for a weekend visit.
5. Wear more sunscreen: Yeah, it’s stupid to make this a goal, but honestly I rarely make it point to apply the “lifesaving” cream. Maybe it’s because I’m getting older or maybe it’s because stories of skin cancer follow us everywhere we go these days, but it’s time to get serious and protect myself from the rays. I’ve taken the first step and purchased a bottle, now it’s time to follow through and avoid my annual lobster sunburn.
So there’s my list. Have you made one.
Before we know it, summer will be just a memory. Don’t let it slip away ...
BCR Staff Writer Goldie Currie can be reached at email@example.com.