MANLIUS – The Bureau Valley School Board met in regular session at 7:30 p.m. June 17 and conducted the following business:
• Heard reports from various committees that met since last month's meeting, including building, transportation, policy and finance.
• Transferred working cash funds to the education fund in the amount of $56,012.68.
• Accepted the resignations of Cindy Morris as Wyanet cafeteria worker, Gwen Swanson as BV South cafeteria worker and Nicole Forward as high school cafeteria worker.
• A waiver for variations in offering physical education to elementary students was explained by the administrators. If staff reductions were needed to meet financial objectives, it could allow the district to offer physical education in various ways. It would not be used during the 2013-14 school year, but could be used in the future if needed. The board approved a hearing date for public input to be at 7 p.m. July 8 in the district administrative office in Manlius.
• Bread and milk bids are being advertised.
• The board approved the purchase of one handicap-accessible bus after July 1 for an estimated cost from $80,000 to $85,000, pending bidding results and utilizing Medicaid and ADM Outreach Funds.
• After a brief closed session, the board voted to employ Miranda Coomer as BV South fifth grade teacher and Jessica Lannen as Wyanet prekindergarten teacher for the 2013-14 school year.
• The 2013-14 student fees were set: Textbook rental is $100 per student with a $200 per family cap; high school athletic fee is $60 per student; lunch prices are $2 for high school, $1.75 for grades sixth to eighth grade and $1.50 for kindergarten through fifth grade.
• Alternate lunch price of $1 was added for students of families who are experiencing financial difficulty. All other fees will be listed with the upcoming districtwide registration information. Registration for all Bureau Valley students is scheduled from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 30; and from noon to 7 p.m. July 31 and Aug. 1.
The next regular board meeting will be at 7 p.m. July 22.