The fourth annual Jay Braida Memorial Golf Open has filled its quota of 144 golfers to hit the greens at Hunter’s Ridge on July 13.
All proceeds of this year’s event will go to Danny Gelsomino, a 1987 Princeton High School graduate and father of two, battling cancer.
Items for silent auctions are still being taken and dinner tickets will continue to be sold for $15. Used golf balls and prizes are needed. For more information, visit email@example.com or check their Facebook page.
• The Jimmy D: The 31st annual Jimmy D Golf Day will be held July 14 at Spring Creek and Deer Park Country Club in Oglesby. The outing is named for Jimmy DeAngelo, who died in 1983 at the age of 37 after fighting cancer.
The proceeds from this event will be devoted to the building of the surgical center currently under construction St. Margaret’s Hospital. Last year’s event raised $20,480 and in 30 years has raised more than $620,000.
The golfer donation is $90 prepaid or $100 if paid on July 14, which includes cart rental, green fees, refreshment and door prizes. Golfers will play in sixsomes. For more information, call Diane Janz at 815-664-7260.
IVCH outing: The 17th annual Illinois Valley Community College Foundation Golf Outing, “Murder in the Fairways,” will be held July 19, at Spring Creek Golf Course.
Golfers will have the chance to participate in a make-believe murder mystery. They will have the chance to obtain clues to figure out who did it, where they did it and with what weapon. Golfers who solve the murder will help a student with their education.Check-in is from 8 to 8:45 a.m. with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. Cost of the four-person scramble is $65 per golfer and includes a continental breakfast, nine holes, contests, lunch and flight prizes.
A $25 “no-hassle” party package is available. The package includes 50 raffle tickets, a chance at two $5,000 hole-in-one prizes, a chance to be the one golfer who attempts a 50-foot putt for $2,500 and other non-golf games at various holes.
Hometown National Bank of LaSalle is the event’s title sponsor; the Foundation welcomes tee and cart sponsors as well. Cash gifts and donations of items for the event are appreciated. Payment and registration deadline is July 17. For information, call Susan Monroe at (815) 224-0253.
• Birdies for charity: Pledges are due by Tuesday for the Friends of Strays No Kill Animal Shelter in Princeton Birdies for Charity fund raiser through the John Deere Classic Golf Tournament. All of the money pledged for Friends of Strays goes to the shelter as well as a match from the tournament itself. Forms for participating are available at the Shelter or by calling either 815-872-7387 or 815-866-2940.
• Bear down: Former Chicago Bears Emery Moorehead, Steve McMichael, Michael Richardson and Dwayne Bates will be attending the ServiceMaster Restoration by DSI Charity Golf Outing for the American Red Cross on July 26 at Hunter’s Ridge Golf Course. Registration and lunch starts at 11 a.m. with a shotgun start at 12:30 p.m. Cost is $65 per person. For more information, call 800-954-9444.
• Spring Creek roundup: The Spring Creek Ladies League hosted its Guest Day on June 19. Top team for the day were Spring Creek’s Barb Stank and Barb Brennan with Lori Schlesinger (MG) and Jan Moriarity (EW).
• Wyaton Hills roundup: Max Halberg Jr. scored a 39 for low gross and Mick Towns and Troy Torri shared low (32) in the Wednesday Men’s League. ... Michelle Coble had low gross (42) and Kath Clark low net (32) for the Thursday Women’s League.
• Chip shots: The DePue Men’s Club is hosting a golf outing Saturday at Spring Creek Golf Course to benefit the Support the Dam Project. For more information, contact Roger Harrison at 815-447-2024. ... The Greater Princeton City Open Golf Tournament will be held Aug. 3-4. It includes 18 holes at Wyaton Hills on Saturday, and 18 holes at Hunter’s Ridge on Sunday. Registration forms are at all local golf courses. The format is the same as last year.