MENDOTA — It is time to get out your favorite sweet corn recipes.
The popular Sweet Corn Festival food contest, sponsored by Illinois Frame Inc. of Mendota, will take place Aug. 10.
The Mendota Area Chamber of Commerce is looking for some creative cooks to serve up special dishes using sweet corn as the main ingredient.
Kim Kennedy of Illinois Frame and chairperson of the food contest, Vicki Tolley, have begun preparations for this special event.
“There will be a grand prize winner and a runner-up chosen by the judges,” said Tolley. “Prizes will also be awarded for queen’s choice, most creative and best presentation.
• Contestants must prepare the food ahead of time.
• All categories are open to all types of food dishes, as long as the main ingredient is sweet corn.
• Multiple entries from one contestant will be accepted, but only one award per contestant.
• All entries must be taken to the Mendota Elks Lodge, 707 Indiana Ave., Mendota. They can be dropped off between 1:15 and 1:45 p.m. Judging starts promptly at 2 p.m.
• All entries must bring a recipe card for the judges.
The grand prize winner will receive $250 in Mendota Gift Certificates, which can be used for services or merchandise in over 50 Mendota businesses. The runner-up and the other awards will be $50 Mendota Gift Certificates.
Applications for the contest are available at the Mendota Chamber Office, from the sweetcornfestival.com website or by calling 815-539-6507.