Fair
55°FFairFull Forecast

Still waiting ...

PRINCETON — The Princeton Elementary School Board is hopeful it will be able to reinstate its Early Childhood program before the start of the new school year, but it might require meeting in special session to get it accomplished.

At this week’s board meeting, Superintendent Tim Smith said he has not yet received needed information from the Illinois State Board of Education concerning the district’s Early Childhood Block Program Grant for the coming school year. However, there is no indication at all the grant for PES will not be approved. He’s confident the district will be able to reinstate the program and recall its staff, Smith said.

As for a possible reason why the needed information has not yet been received, Smith said there are some districts which are not accepting the Early Childhood Block Grant and discontinuing their programs, which means the existing money would be reallocated, and maybe PES would get more money. Whatever the final amount, he’s confident PES will get at least an amount equal to what it received last year, and possibly more.

Once the final grant information is received, there will probably be the need to call a special board meeting to reinstate the program and recall the staff before the start of the school year.

In other business at Monday’s meeting, Smith reviewed the preliminary end-of-the-year numbers for Fiscal Year 2013, which ended June 30. Final numbers will be available after the audit which takes place in August.

Looking at the largest fund of the budget, Smith said the education fund’s total revenue for the 2013 fiscal year was $8,587,823 with total expenses of $8,686,714, resulting in a deficit of $98,189. However, the total revenue number reflects a transfer of $1,350,000 into the education fund from the working cash fund, which means in actuality the education fund had a deficit of $1,448,891. The only good news in those numbers is that the district had expected to have to make a larger transfer than was actually needed, Smith said.

Comparing last fiscal year’s numbers, the transportation fund ended the 2012 fiscal year with a $227,772 balance and is projected to end the 2013 fiscal year with a $284,833 balance. The difference there is due to the fact the district received five of the six transportation state payments due in 2013, compared to four payments received in 2012, Smith said.

In the working cash fund, the district ended the 2012 fiscal year with a $496,783 balance. Total revenue for the 2013 fiscal year was $3,182,403 with expenses of $1,356,100 That revenue amount includes the bond issue of $3,055,000, which has to last another two years, Smith said.

The projected ending balance in all funds for FY ‘13 shows total revenue of $14,892,171, which includes the $3,055,000 in bond money and total expenses of $13,155,501.

Also, the board accepted committee assignments as follows: Buildings and grounds, Doris Hamilton and Mark Frank; transportation, Mark Frank and Terry O’Neil; negotiations, Steve Bouslog and Terry O’Neil; public relations/community involvement, J.P. Aley and Elizabeth Arkels; and finance, Steve Bouslog and Doris Hamilton. Board President Judd Lusher will serve on all committees.

Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com.

Previous Page|1|2|Next Page| Comments

More News

Comments

National Video