PRINCETON — The deadline has been extended until Aug. 8 for Illinois residents and businesses to apply for federal assistance for expenses incurred from the April flooding.
On Friday, Bureau County ESDA coordinator Kris Donarski said the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has so far received 395 applications for individual assistance from Bureau County residents, as of the end of the business day on July 24. The status of those applications, including the requested dollar amount, is not information she has, Donarski said.
In a press release issued Wednesday, Gov. Pat Quinn announced FEMA had approved the state’s request for a 15-day extension for the registration deadline for individual assistance. People who suffered damage or loss from the flooding and rains between April 16 and May 5 now have until Aug. 8 to register for federal grants and loans.
Quinn also announced nearly $190 million in federal grants and loans has been approved to date to help people and businesses in the 35 counties declared federal disaster areas following the widespread flooding in April. Among those 35 counties are Bureau, Henry, LaSalle, Marshall, Putnam, Stark, Whiteside, Will, Grundy and DeKalb.
The application process is handled directly with FEMA and not through her office, Donarski said. Registration applications can be completed online or via web-enabled phone at m.fema.gov. People may also call 800-621-3362 or (TTY) 800-462-7585. Residents who use 711-Relay or Video Relay Services (VRS) can call 800-621-3362.
As far as federal assistance for local governmental bodies, Donarski said FEMA is continuing to work with the local governments to collect the needed data. Bureau County is one of 40 counties declared eligible for federal aid to local governments.
Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com.