HENRY — River Valley Players announces auditions for “Little Women” (the musical), based on Louisa May Alcott’s own family experiences.
The show will be presented Oct. 19, 20, 25, 26 and 27. “Little Women” follows the adventures of Jo, Meg, Beth and Amy March as they grow up in Civil War America. The beloved story of the March sisters is timeless and deals with issues that are as relevant today as when they were written. Now this wonderful literary classic has been brought to life as an exhilarating new musical filled with glorious music, and heart. Little Women embodies the complete theatrical experience, guaranteeing a night filled with laughter, tears, and lifting of the spirit. This powerful score soars with the sounds of personal discovery, heartache and hope — the sound of young America finding its voice.
Auditions will be at 2 p.m. Aug. 17 and 18. Call backs, if needed, will be at 7 p.m. Aug. 19. Audition will be held at St. Mary's Community Center, 1031 Second St., Henry.
Rehearsals will begin Aug. 26 and will be held on weekday evenings, as well as Sunday afternoons. There may also be Saturday afternoon rehearsals. Most characters will begin with rehearsals two to three times a week.
• Jo March (Mezzo, Belt, age 18-late 20’s) a writer, very spirited, strong willed, tomboyish — a very liberal women for her time.
• Marmee March (age 40- 54- alto/mezzo, aristocrat) the girls caring mother, compassionate strong woman.
• Meg March (Lyric soprano age 15- 27) the eldest and the beauty of the family — a romantic who yearns for more from life than just working as s governess.
• Beth March (light soprano)- the second youngest, nervous and shy on the outside but has an inner strength, devoted to duty and social caring for others even at the expense of her health.
• Amy March (Soprano, age late teens to 20s) the youngest, a willful girl who is not content to be just the “baby” of the family, pretentious, spoiled and quite the firecracker. Casted as two roles, one role for age 12 and second role as young adult.
• Aunt March (Mezzo Soprano 50-60s) the pretentious, crotchety and difficult matriarch of the March family, widowed, wealthy and willing to try anything to maintain her influence. A good character role.
• Theodore "Laurie” Laurence (tenor, age 16 – 22) charming , best friend to Jo.
• Mr. Brook (Baritone/tenor, age 22-30) Laurie’s tutor, shy and awkward, entranced with Meg.
• Mr. Lawrence (Baritone, age 55-70) Gruff, opinionated exterior hides a heart of gold.
• Professor Baer (Baritone, age 30-40) Jo's friend and “fatherly” mentor, teacher and suitor.
• Mrs. Kirk (non-singing, age 40) runs boarding house.
Additional information for auditions:
• Please prepare a standard Broadway song that best shows off your range.
• Bring sheet music (an accompanist will be provided).
• You will be asked to read from the script.
• There will not be a dance call for this audition.
• You may be asked to sing a song from the show of the character you auditioning for.
• A list of all conflicts.
For more information regarding auditions, contact Charlotte Balensiefen at 309-364-3563 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.