Bureau Valley School Board
MANLIUS – The Bureau Valley School Board met in regular session at 7 p.m. July 22 in the district administrative office and conducted the following business:
• Approved regular and executive meeting minutes of June 17 and public hearing minutes of July 8.
• Approved current Bureau Valley bills and payroll and Bureau County Special Schools' bills and payroll.
• Approved monthly financial and treasurer's report.
• Approved board policies on board member development and substitute teachers, and heard first readings on policies pertaining to drug and alcohol-free workplace, student teachers and more.
• Accepted a bid from Manlius Oil Co. for fuel and a bid from AgView FS for diesel for the transportation department. Acceptance of bids for a wheelchair-accessible bus was tabled because a vendor expressed questions regarding the bidding process; it will be reviewed with the administration. A bid for milk products was declined due to a lower cost through existing participation in the LaSalle County Area Purchasing Cooperative.
• Superintendents Dennis Thompson and James Whitmore reported on completion of summer projects. Playground upgrades are completed, and summer custodial work has progressed on schedule. Resurfacing of the high school track is completed, and the Booster Club was thanked for their donation toward the project.
• New Wyanet bus/student drop-off/pick-up procedures have been established and will be disseminated to families.
• Approved a district physical education waiver request to the state board resulting from a public hearing on July 8. The waiver allows for variations in how physical education is offered to elementary students and may help the district better utilize staff as needed to meet future objectives of the district.
• Approved the transfer of $100,000 from the working cash fund to the education fund as of June 28.
• Approved the repair of a chiller for the high school in the amount of $26,746.
• Placed the alternative education/behavior disorder programs' budgets on display until 6:30 p.m. Aug. 26 public hearing.
• Accepted the resignations of Tamera Barrett as Wyanet sign language interpreter; Maureen Conner as Bureau Valley North food service employee; and Paula Richardson as Bureau Valley South special education aide.
• Hired Paula Richardson, Ashley Schmidt and Jean Sheppard as food service employees; Patsy Dean and Jennifer York as Bureau Valley South education education aides; Alyssa Zell as Wyanet preschool parent coordinator; Katie Bosnich as Bureau Valley North special education aide and freshman volleyball coach; Connie Hahne as part-time high school home economics teacher; and Gerald Nixon as part-time high school industrial arts teacher.
The next regular meeting will be at 7 p.m. Monday, Aug. 26 in the district administrative office.