PRINCETON — After expressing their concerns earlier this year about water and flooding problems in their neighborhoods, two Princeton residents came back to the Princeton City Council to say thank you for the council taking steps to attempt to solve future water problems.
At Tuesday’s council meeting, Laura Favia thanked Mayor Keith Cain, city commissioners and City Manager Jeff Clawson for moving forward with trying to find some solutions, as shown by the council’s adoption Tuesday night of a two-page sanitary/ storm sewer plan.
“I’d like to thank you from the bottom of my heart to see that we are still moving forward on this,” Favia said. “It’s the first time in a long time I can breath a sigh of relief. I just hope we keep moving forward and I hope the problem is solved. Thank you for your long-term commitment. I truly, truly appreciate what you have done in a short period of time.”
Resident Esther Tracey also thanked the council for its action, saying she was encouraged by the plan which “offers some hope that there could be some relief to the problem.”
In describing the two-page plan, Clawson said he, Superintendent of Streets Steve Wright and Wastewater Treatment Department Superintendent Tim Forristall had reviewed the Farnsworth Group’s sewer system study, presented in August to the council, and were in agreement that some of the simpler items could be completed this fall. As more revenue is received through the recently approved rate increases, the larger projects can be tackled, Clawson said.
Steps to be taken this fall in the Greencroft Subdivision include the installation of a diaphragm at the intersection of Greencroft and Mayfair Drive to allow water to flow into the manhole but not back into the lateral and also adding more sealant to a low lying manhole.
Also this fall, the city will install inlets in the Dover Road area around St. Matthew’s Church to increase the volume of water that will be directed underground to the Skin Creek storm sewer. The plan also calls for the hiring of a company to do smoke testing and televising of the entire 24-inch sanitary sewer main from its inception around the east city limits line to the wastewater treatment plant.
Future steps included in the plan are determining the need for additional detention sites, enhancing the sanitary and storm sewer maps, and implementing a sewer replacement program.
Following Tuesday’s meeting, Mayor Keith Cain said the schedule set up in the plan is one which the city should have no problem in keeping. There are a lot of things which the plan covers, but the city can’t guarantee the plan will take care of 100 percent of the problem. These steps will definitely help the situation, but if it doesn’t help enough, then the city will know it needs to go another avenue.
Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com.