45°FOvercastFull Forecast

Dryer determined cause of Malden house fire

(BCR photo/Terri Simon)
A Malden firefighter sits on the lawn in front of the rural Malden home that burned Wednesday due to an issue with the clothes dryer. Officials are determining the home as a total loss.

MALDEN — Area fire departments rushed to a house fire in rural Malden Wednesday afternoon.

The cause of fire has been connected to a dryer in the home.

Malden Fire Chief Travis Rossler suspects the dryer either had an electrical issue or the lint from the dryer built up and caught fire from the heat.

“Sometimes it just builds up too much heat and can start a fire,” he said.

Firefighters from Malden, Ladd, Princeton, Seatonville and Spring Valley were on scene for nearly four hours, as hoses were used to extinguished the flames.

Rossler said the flames quickly escalated and caused damage to the laundry room and kitchen, creating heavy smoke and heat damage to most of the downstairs portion of the two-story home.

He called the house, which is located on 1595 North Avenue, a complete loss.

Rossler confirmed no injuries were sustained in the fire.

Bureau County Red Cross volunteers responded and coordinated food, shelter and clothing assistance and helped with emotional support due to the fire damage.

According to a Red Cross press release, they were assisting two adults and two children.

The 10/33 Ambulance and Bureau County Sheriff’s Department were also on scene.

Departments cleared the scene around 3:30 p.m.

Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com.


Get breaking news and weather sent to your phone. Sign up for bcralerts!

More News