Garbage doesn’t belong
PRINCETON — News flash: The Princeton Recycling Center is not a dump site for garbage.
At Monday’s meeting of the Princeton City Council, Commissioner Ray Mabry said 95 percent of residents are doing the right thing in what they bring to the recycling center, but it’s the remaining 5 percent who are the problem.
Last week was a tough week at the recycling center, Mabry said, with three separate incidents of people leaving garbage at the center. One night someone dropped off a bunch of furniture, including a sofa, recliners and dressers, plus some clothing. The night before that incident, someone dropped off automobile parts, Mabry said.
If residents have a question about what is accepted at the recycling center, they can call city hall, Mabry said. The information is also available on the city’s website.
Mayor Keith Cain also addressed the recycling center issue, urging people to be responsible and to follow the guidelines set for acceptable items.
“I’m pleading with the people out there. Let’s be adults and quit dumping junk there,” Cain said. “We aren’t a garbage site.”
The mayor also asked people who may see someone dumping unwanted items at the recycling center to get the license plate number of the vehicle and to bring that information to the Princeton Police Station or city hall. City officials will take it from there, which could include issuing tickets, Cain said.
The misuse of the recycling center has increased during the last couple years, possibly with increased costs for landfills, the mayor said.
In other business at Monday’s meeting, Commissioner Joel Quiram requested an update on the city’s new water treatment plant, located in the city’s technology park.
In response, City Manager Jeff Clawson said the new water treatment plant is about 99.9 percent completed. There are about 13 items left on the final punch list, with most of those items dealing with administrative issues. All the problematic things, like piping, have been resolved, he said.
The only remaining issue is the extended warranty for the piping system since it wasn’t manufactured properly, Clawson said. The city will ask for some type of performance bond to guarantee the performance of the pipes in the long term. But overall, everything is looking pretty positive with the new plant, the city manager said.
In still other business, Commissioner Bob Warren requested an update on the Habanero’s Mexican Grill and Cantina building on South Main which was damaged by fire earlier this year.
City Clerk Pete Nelson said he spoke with the owners of the building a couple weeks ago and it appears the insurance companies are beginning to soften a little bit in their conversations. There are some structural issues with a neighboring building which prevents the owners from moving forward with the demolition of the Habanero’s building. As soon as there is some guarantee about the coverage of any potential damage to the neighboring building, the demolition is expected go forward, Nelson said.
Warren said the city faced a similar issue last year with the building on the South Main Street/Park Avenue West corner. That problem lasted eight months before the city stepped in and got something done. He doesn’t want the same thing to happen with the Habanero’s building, Warren said.
Nelson said he would get an update for the council.
Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com.