MANLIUS — The Bureau Valley School District Board met in regular session at 7 p.m. Dec. 16. The meeting was preceded by a levy hearing at 6:45 p.m. Superintendent Dennis Thompson briefly reviewed the proposed levy for the public in attendance. The FY 2014 levy totaling $6,596,500 is a 5.2955 percentage increase over the previous year's $6,364,751 and therefore required a public hearing. With no questions from the public, the hearing was closed at 6:52 p.m.
Recent committee meetings included:
• Transportation to receive fuel bids and discuss a purchase schedule for the fleet.
• Community relations to establish a committee of district residents to review and make recommendations for future considerations in the district.
• Personnel to review staffing and seniority lists.
• A motion by the curriculum committee to add the Math II designation in place of geometry and add history through film. A critical thinking class addition was discussed, but no action was taken. More information was requested.
In other board action, the following was approved:
• Regular meeting minutes of Nov. 25, bills and payroll, current Bureau County Special Schools' bills and payroll, monthly financial and treasurer's report.
• The district levy as presented.
• The Bureau Valley certified staff seniority list as presented.
• The Bureau Valley support staff seniority list as presented.
• The Bureau County Alternative Education Program/Behavior Disorder Program staff seniority lists as presented.
• A low bid of Manlius Oil Co. for unleaded fuel for the district in the amount of $5,564 and Michlig Energy for diesel fuel in the amount of $76,252.
• A change to the Educational Support Personnel Employee Handbook that grants reimbursement for unused sick days accumulated that exceeds 240 days upon retirement of full-time employees, effective Jan. 1.
• Accepted a check in the amount of $1,410 from the Ag Boosters for payment of farm ground cash rent and approved next year's cash rent for the same amount.
Building principals reported student activities that included Christmas food drives; donations to the Red Cross in lieu of gift exchanges to assist families affected by tornadoes and making Christmas cards and caroling at nursing homes.
All music department levels are presenting annual Christmas programs. North and South choruses performed on Paula Sands Live at 3 p.m. Dec. 19; 3 p.m. Dec. 23; 3 p.m. Dec. 24 and at noon and 5 p.m. Dec. 25.
After a closed session, the board approved:
• The resignation of Jeff Ohlson as head football coach.
• Accepted the resignation of BV North special education aide Corrine Thomas.
• Approved Jeff Monier as BV North volunteer sixth grade girls basketball coach.
• Approved maternity leave request for Katie Bosnich.
• Approved and retained closed meeting minutes of Nov. 25, 2013.
The next regular meeting will be at 7 p.m. Jan. 27 in the district administrative office in Manlius.