MANLIUS — Manlius Village Board did not take any action on Tuesday regarding the outdoor wood burner ordinance, which was a heated issue at last month’s meeting.
Village Clerk Lori Roush confirmed no one from the public attended the January meeting to speak on the issue, therefore, the board tabled the agenda item.
For months, the village board has been working on drafting an ordinance that would better regulate outdoor wood burners.
Last year, resident Kyle Rowland brought the issue to the board after his neighbor built a homemade outdoor wood burner that was creating large amounts of smoke and fumes and was blowing right into his home.
After village President Rob Hewitt met with the neighbor, he called the outdoor wood burner “a hazard” and confirmed the venting system was not constructed properly.
At the village’s December meeting, several residents attended the meeting, and fellow neighbors spoke out about the health and safety issues they had with the wood burner.
The owner of the wood burner was also present and backed up his side of the story by questioning the guidelines included in the ordinance the village wanted to pass.
The village board ultimately decided not to vote on the ordinance and came to the conclusion that the neighbors needed to work out their issue because passing an ordinance to get rid of one outdoor wood burner would affect an entire community when the ordinance was only meant to target one person. It was discussed that targeting one person with an ordinance was also not the right thing to do.
On Thursday, Roush confirmed the homemade wood burner has not been used since the village board’s December meeting. She said the issue seemed to have been settled.
Rowland did attend the January meeting but had no comment when the agenda item was tabled.
On Thursday, Hewitt said the board has put the ordinance on hold and continues to do more research on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency standards which have been discussed to use in the ordinance.
“We don’t want to have to pass it, but it there continues to be a problem, then we will have to that,” he said.
He wants to make it clear so all residents realize the issue on the ordinance surrounds only outdoor wood burners. He said it would not affect any indoor wood burners, such as fireplaces and other types of burners within the home.
Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com.