PHS makes up for ‘cold’ days
PRINCETON — Princeton High School is adjusting its calendar to make up for a couple weather-related cancellation days, with more adjustments to follow.
At Wednesday’s meeting of the PHS Board, Principal Andy Berlinski said there have been two “cold” days earlier this month, on Jan. 6 and 7. To make up for those non-attendance days, students were in attendance Jan. 17, which had previously been designated as a Teacher Institute Day, and students will also be in attendance on March 3, which had previously been set as a non-attendance day for Casimir Pulaski Day.
These two additional days will allow flexibility at the end of the school year, so students and staff will not have to split a test review day and a finals day over the Memorial Day weekend, Berlinski said. The Teacher Institute Day will be made up at the end of the school year, he added.
As recommended by Superintendent Kirk Haring, the last scheduled day of attendance for PHS students for this school year was set for May 28, unless there is another snow day. Graduation was set for 10 a.m. May 24 on Bryant Field.
However, PHS did have another school cancellation, its third cold day of the month, on Thursday, which means another adjustment will need to be made.
On Friday, Haring said attendance options will have to be considered to make up for Thursday’s cold day. The district will also have to get through next Monday and Tuesday, when more frigid temperatures are expected to return to the area, he said.
Haring said all schools build in five emergency days, but it’s been a long time since PHS has had to use them all.
Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com.
PRINCETON — The Princeton High School Board of Education appointed the following spring coaches at its Jan. 22 meeting:
• Baseball: Tim Taylor, head coach; Michael Fauth, assistant; Bruce Placek, Shane Kloeping, Chris Fields, volunteers.
• Girls soccer: Ed Young, head coach; David Gray, assistant; Kurt Garvin, Scott Roseberg, volunteers.
• Softball: Bob James, head coach; Tim Ciesielski, assistant; Joe Bates, Josh Purvis, Rick Menzel, Kevin Bauer, Kristen Valle, volunteers.
• Boys tennis: Connie Lind, head coach; Doug Faber, assistant.
• Boys track: Dan Foes, head coach; Curtis Odell, assistant.
• Girls track: Pat Hodge, head coach; Andy Puck, assistant.