PRINCETON — Agnes S. House, 93, of Princeton, formerly of Tiskilwa, passed away Monday, Feb. 3, 2014, at the home of her daughter in Princeton.
Agnes was born on June 3, 1920, in Standardsville, Va., to Harry K. and Berniece (Moyers) Shelton. She graduated from William Monroe High School in 1937 and attended Strayers Business College in Washington, D.C. She went to work for the War Department in Washington until she married Harry R. House on Sept. 1, 1945. Upon his release from the Coast Guard they moved to Bradford and eventually farmed in Tiskilwa until retiring in 1982.
She was a homemaker most of her life, but was employed at Husser’s Flower Shop and Perry Memorial Hospital. She was a very active member in her church, Bradford Baptist, and also attended the Princeton Bible Church. Through the years she also was involved in Home Bureau Extension, the Tiskilwa Woman’s Club, many committees at her church, and, in her later years, loved to visit the Princeton and Bradford’s Senior Centers. She was a lover of people and a friend to many. Her servant’s heart always thought of others and truly was a woman with a southern style and charm.
She is survived by her children, Janet (Robert) Skaggs of Princeton and Roger (Donna) House of Placerville, Calif.; her much loved grandchildren include Laurie Geuther of Wyanet, Mike (Chris) Skaggs of Normal, Jamie Skaggs of Scottsdale, Ariz., Crissa (Ian) Cardosi of Princeton, Daniel (Connie) House of Bakersfield, Calif., Amber House of Placerville, Calif., Mike (Laura) House of Plainfield and Terry (Randy) Vetter of Davis Junction; and 16 great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, Harry; her son, James; one great-grandson; and one great-great-grandson.
A memorial service will be held at a later date. Arrangements are through the Fiocchi-Jensen Funeral Home in Princeton.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to her family to be dispersed to her church, two senior centers and cancer research.