Rhodes earns IVCC’s Crick Award
Sophomore C.J. Rhodes of Princeton was presented with the Steve Crick Award at Illinois Valley Community College this week.
The award is given in memory of the late IVCC coach to the women’s basketball player who exemplified the best attitude on and off the basketball court. It was not awarded last year.
Crick coached at IVCC from 2001-2009, passing away from cancer.
• Former St. Bede Bruin and IVCC standout Alec Schwab had a memorable game for William Penn University on Feb. 8. The junior guard scored 43 points on 13 of 28 shooting from (9 of 20 on threes). According to school records, it is the fourth highest point total in program history.
To no surprise, the performance gave Schwab honors as the Midwest Collegiate Conference Player of the Week. He was previously named as WP’s Male Athlete of the Month in January.
Schwab is averaging 13.8 points on the season. He is averaging 19.7 ppg since sitting out two games with an injury.
Indoor track and field
• Phoenix Smallwood had a sweetheart of a Valentine’s Day for Lewis University in the Chicagoland Intercollegiate Indoor Classic in Naperville. The freshmen from Princeton won the triple jump with a provisional mark of 18-9 3/4 and placed fourth in the long jump (17-11 /12).
Lewis finished with 153.5 points to win the 17-team meet.
Host North Central College took first place on the men’s side of the meet. A contributing adrenal was weight man Adam Weidner of Bureau Valley. The NCC sophomore placed fifth in the weight throw (51-11) and sixth in the shot put (48-11).
• Mount Mercy University sophomore Liz Mosbach won the 400 meters (1:01:35) in addition to three other place-finishes in the Cornell College Invite on Feb. 1. Her brother, T.J. Mosbach, a senior, placed second in the 3,000 meters (9:12.95) and third in the mile run (4:36.47) for the Mustangs.
• Two former Bureau Valley athletes came together under one roof for the University of Chicago Windy City Rumble. Natalie Swanson, a sophomore for North Park University, won the weight throw (43-6) and took second in the shot put (35-1 1/4). Another Storm product, Concordia University freshman Logan Hoffert, took part in the sixth-place 1,600 relay and placed ninth in the 400 meters (56.33).
• Illinois State University sophomore Kimi Sanden from Bureau Valley placed second in the 800 meters (2:22.03) and third in the mile run (5:17.68) in the Keck Invitational at neighbor Illinois Wesleyan University. Also for the Redbirds, redshirt sophomore Scott Janusick from Hall placed second in the 3,000 meters.
• Junior Lorraine Stamberger of LaMoille took part in Augustana College’s winning distance medley at Saturday’s Darren Young Indoor Classic at Grinnell College. She also placed 13th in the mile run (5:28.93).
Send college updates to email@example.com.