SPRING VALLEY — The Hall High School Board met Feb. 19 and took the following action:
• The board approved a holiday waiver which allows students to attend school on Martin Luther King Day, Lincoln’s birthday, Casmir Pulaski’s birthday, Columbus Day and Veterans Day. If you attend school on any of these dates, students must be taught a lesson about the reason for the holiday. A school district is required to host a public hearing if they are going to continue to utilize this calendar modification.
• Superintendent Mike Struna provided information to the board about how the Firearm Concealed Carry Act affects school districts. A person must be 21 years old to be issued a permit. It is illegal to carry a concealed firearm on school property even if you have a permit. Schools must post a sign advising the public that guns are not allowed on school property. Hall has recently posted the decals on the doors.
• Struna said the administration is still researching the possibility of providing every incoming freshman with some sort of tablet, such as an iPad.
• There is an education and economic prosperity meeting scheduled for March 11 at city hall.
• After a closed session, the board accepted with regret the retirement requests of Pete Kasperski and Joe Panzica, both effective June 30.
The next meeting is at 6 p.m. March 19 in the library.