Digital Access

Digital Access
Access from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, sports, opinion and more. The Bureau County Republican is published Wednesday and Saturday mornings.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! With bcralerts, get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device or by e-mail.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Keep up with what's going on in your community by reading the bcrbriefs. This easy to read synopsis of today's news will be emailed directly to you Tuesday through Saturday at no charge. Sign up today!

ABC’s Award

Project Success creates program to recognize community support

SPRING VALLEY — The Project Success Board has instituted an award program to publicly recognize local schools, churches, organizations and businesses that go “Above and Beyond Community Support” to help the Hall Township Food Pantry to flourish.

The first 15 recipients to receive the ABC’s Award were recently announced.

Jan Martin, director of Project Success, explained the board has always sent thank you notes to those who have donated to the pantry, but it wanted to take it a step further to help recognize their “giving goodness.”

“Our award winners did not do what they did for recognition but to help their neighbors in need. They are not looking for accolades, but we feel letting them know they are appreciated is important. It was out of gratitude that this program was developed,” she said.

The first round of awards were granted to Ladd Community Consolidated Grade School, Hall High School, St. Bede Academy, St. Margaret’s Health, HyVee, Peru Walmart, Walmart Distribution Center, Mautino Distributing, Advantage Logistics, Hollowayville United Church of Christ, Nativity of Our Lord Catholic Church, Holy Trinity Catholic Church, St. John’s Lutheran Church, Cherry Boy Scout Troop 1055 and LaMoille Lions Club.

“These places go above and beyond for sure. We have a lot of generous organizations, but these particular groups do more than give money — they give themselves, as well,” Martin said.

According to a press release issued by Project Success of Eastern Bureau County, food is distributed at the food pantry five days a week. Nine communities are served with an average of 300 families receiving groceries each month. More than 1,000 individuals comprise the 300 families.

Food received from the River Bend Food Bank and Midwest Food Bank is the base inventory at the pantry and covers only 25 percent of foods distributed monthly. The remaining 75 percent of foods come from community support.

“Because of the great need, this is by far the most important link in the food pantry chain. Every cent donated, food item brought in and collection held makes pantry distribution possible,” Martin said.

Each recipient of the ABC’s Award has created their own “giving goodness” story with the food pantry.

“This isn’t an annual award. It’s an anytime award, which is given for going above and beyond,” Martin explained. “Recipients may also see themselves getting the award more than once.”

She expressed the first 15 recipients are also not the only deserving givers.

“There are hundreds who make certain the food pantry meets the need. This is a good start, but many will receive this award,” she said. “To all out repeat givers — a strong thank you.”

Comment on this story at

Loading more