Area track and field college athletes have been taking aim on school records of late.
• Freshman Austen Stewart of Princeton wrestled the school record in the high jump from Aurora University teammate Loren Iwanicki, clearing 2.00m (6-6 3/4) for the first time. After finishing the indoor season ranked 50th in the country, Stewart has the 21st best high jump in DIII.
• Liz Mosbach, a sophomore from Hall, set a record for Mount Mercy University in the triple jump, going 35-2 1/2 in the Western Illinois Invite April 10-12. In addition, she placed fifth in the long jump (17-0 3/4) and ninth in the 800 (2:24.34) and took part in the Mustangs’ third-place sprint medley and fourth-place 1,600 relay.
• Her brother, T. J. Mosbach, a senior at Mount Mercy, placed second in the 10,000 meters (33:37.85) and fourth in the 5,000 meters (16:13.17) at Western.
• Former BCR Athlete of the Year Adam Weidner (Bureau Valley) has excelled on the field and in the classroom. He was named to the CCIW All-Academic team for the winter sports season for indoor track. To be included, athletes must have earned a varsity letter and compile a 3.3 GPA or higher.
In his most recent competition, Weidner placed third in the shot put in the Wheaton Don Church Twilight on April 17 with a throw of 47-10.
Weidner is one of several BV track products still in the running.
• At Judson University, senior Cassie Criminger finished 17th in the 1,500 meters (5:31.44) at the Wheaton meet.
• At Illinois State University, sophomore Kimi Sanden placed 32nd in the 800 (2:20.90) and 37th in the 1,500 (4:42.35) at the Jesse Owens Classic April 17-18 in Columbus, Ohio.
• At Concordia University, freshman Logan Hoffert placed eighth in the 400-meter hurdles (59.45) and third in the triple jump (40-2 1/4) in the Cougars Invitational on April 17.
• At North Park University in Chicago, sophomore Natalie Swanson placed fourth in the discus (115-6) and ninth in the shot put (34-7 1/2) in the Wisconsin Lutheran Invite on April 12.
• LaMoille’s Lorraine Stamberger helped the Augustana Vikings celebrate their own Meet of Champions April 18 by running on the winning 3,200 relay (9:37.51). The Augie junior also placed eighth in the 1,500 (4:57.06).
• Former Hall Red Devil Anthony Urbanski, a junior at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, placed third in the 800 (1:54.58) at the Augustana meet.
• Princeton’s Phoenix Smallwood, a freshmen for Lewis University, hit a provisional first-place triple jump of 38-11 3/4 in the Chicagoland Championships on April 12. She also placed second in the long jump.
• In the same meet, former Hall Lady Devil Daniela Acamovic, a senior for the University of St. Francis, finished 23rd in the 400 (1:22.55). Also for St. Francis, freshman Joseph Parochetti of Hall ran 34th in the 5,000 (16:46.07).
• Steven Gualandri, a freshmen out of St. Bede, has a season best 33.54m in the javelin thrown at the Benedictine Eagle Invitational on April 12
Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com.