BUDA — The repair of potholes on village roads was high on the agenda of the Buda Village Board’s meeting Monday night.
As part of the agenda, the village approved a resolution to move forward with Illinois Department of Transportation paperwork. The paperwork is necessary so work can begin on $55,000 worth of maintenance to area streets and highways. Most of the money for the maintenance project will come from the $44,000 on hand from motor fuel taxes. A large portion of the maintenance project will consist of the repaving of village streets which suffered the most due to the recent harsh winter.
In addition to approval of work on streets, Mayor Jeff Bitting said he addressed the issue of cleaning out drainage ruts along Route 40 north of town. He said they need to be cut deeper to alleviate the problem of standing water on the road due to snow melt and heavy rain. Village engineer Jack Kusek of McClure Engineering, Peru, has been tasked to speak about the concern with IDOT officials to see what can be done.
In other village board news:
• Todd Buckman was appointed the new director of the Buda Emergency Rescue Unit by consensus of the council. He replaces the outgoing director Julie Strader.
• Village Superintendent Duane Roberts told the council the village park is open. It will remain open unless there is more vandalism. He also said the village signed off on spraying for mosquitos.
• The village water project will now include a new building to house the new waterworks plant. All major components of the waterworks plant will be housed in the building. The integrity of the existing waterworks plant structure has questionable serviceability.
• Pursuit to village code, the board approved the continuation of existing commission appointments for the next fiscal year.
• The council approved a raise for the village’s two full-time employees in the same percentage amount as last year. The raises will be effective retroactively to May 1.
There will not be a meeting on May 26, Memorial Day.
Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com.