PRINCETON — After three years of planning and work, Princeton’s new water treatment plant is set to go fully online within the next few weeks.
At Monday’s Princeton City Council meeting, Princeton City Manager Jeff Clawson announced an open house for the new plant is set for June 7, with more details to be announced in coming days.
Located in the city’s technology park on the northeast edge of town, the new water treatment plant replaces the existing plant, located at 3 N. Main St. The existing plant was built in 1930, with an expansion in 1964 and upgrades in 2000.
The existing plant’s current capacity is 1.58 million gallons per day, which is about half of the design size recommended by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency. The new plant has a four million gallon capacity. Groundbreaking and construction on the new $20 million water treatment project began in November 2011.
As reported earlier in the Bureau County Republican, Princeton residents have been drinking water blended from the new water treatment with the old water treatment plant since February.
On Tuesday, Clawson said the final production at the old plant will end no later than July 1. The old plant will be dismantled, probably beginning in the fall of 2014. The needed work will be evaluated to see what can be done by city staff, what needs to be done by outside people for no fees, and what work will need to be contracted.
Also at Monday’s council meeting, Clawson reported on other summer projects, including engineering work for the planned Bailey Subdivision infrastructure project and the city-wide sanitary sewer improvement project.
Also, the Princeton Fire Department is working on the details for a new/revised ordinance in reference to changes to the department’s ambulance/EMS charges, Clawson said. This ordinance on the proposed changes will be presented in June to the city council for consideration.
Also, Clawson said the city council has been invited to the June 1 Princeton Community Band opening concert of its summer season, with the council to be recognized by the band for its support through the years.
In his report at Monday’s meeting, Commissioner Bob Warren announced the city issued 10 residential building permits in April, at a value of $124,950, and no commercial building permits. For the 2014 year, through April, the city has issued a total of 18 building permits, at a value of $339,974. For the same time period in 2013, the city issued a total of 16 building permits, at a value of $647,364. For the same time period in 2012, the city issued a total of 20 building permits, at a value of $424,585.
Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com.