MANLIUS — The Bureau Valley District Board of Education met in regular session on May 19.
BV South student Trent DeVenney presented his essay on the Cherry Mine Disaster that was chosen as a Coal Calendar Essay Winner this year. Other South students being recognized were seventh- and eighth-grade students who participated and placed in the state track meet recently. BV North students receiving recognition as Best of the Day at solo/ensemble contest included Ashtyn Hanabarger, Cidney Whittaker and Sequia Wierzbicki.
The board recognized the following employees on their retirement with engraved clocks:
• Romaine Albrecht, BV North guidance counselor-32 years; Debbie Brewer, Wyanet special education-18 years; Terry Drawyer, North kindergarten-24 years; Jan Madison, North first grade-30 years; Larry McBride, high school special education-27 years; Nancy Pierson, North third grade-31 years; Virginia Pratt, high school science-20 years; Wendee VanDerMeersch, South language arts-34 years; Cheryl Lange, North aide-19 years; Arlene Stone, North aide-14 years; Jena Atkinson, district head cook-32 years; Nancy Anderson, high school secretary-31 years; Jeanne Roberts, unit secretary/board secretary-35 years; Sharon Gerdes, North secretary-20 years; and Bob Nelson, bus driver-18 years.
Superintendent Dennis Thompson reported the recent strategic planning committees consisting of finance, curriculum, special services, public relations and facilities have completed their meetings.
In board action, the following was approved:
• Regular meeting minutes of April 28; current Bureau Valley 340 bills and payroll; current Bureau County Special Schools bills and payroll; and monthly financial and treasurer’s report.
The board also:
• Designated Denise Williams as Alternative Education/Behavior Disorder IMRF authorized agent.
• Designated Dr. Stephen Endress and Karen Sierens as district Imprest Fund signatories.
• Approved the Fiscal Year 2014 support personnel salary schedule as presented.
• Authorized seeking of bids for roofing work (repair/replace) projects: Life Safety work at Alternative Education/BD Manlius and general repair/replacement work at Buda and Wyanet.
• Placed the 2013-14 proposed amended budget on display and set a budget hearing at 6:45 p.m. June 23 and placed action on the amended budget on the June 23 meeting agenda.
After a closed session, the board:
• Voted to approve and retain the closed session meeting minutes of April 28; hired Paul Watson as head mechanic and accepted the resignation of John Matlick as high school baseball coach and Adam Weidner as summer custodial help.
• Employed Kelly Sierens as summer custodial help, Vicki Bailey as BV North social work counselor, Janis McDonald as BV North secretary and Jim Nugent as high school physical education/health teacher.
• Accepted a notification of retirement of alternative education teacher Cathy Scheri at the end of the 2016-17 school year and approved moving part-time secretary/bookkeeper Karen Sierens to full-time district secretary/board secretary.
• Employed Chris Lindsey as head sophomore football coach and approved volunteer football coaches Mike Tumbleson, Robert Uzumecki Jr., Jason Smith and Aaron Jackson.
• Parent Christina Church addressed the board with a concern regarding administrative procedures involving law enforcement interviews conducted at school with students.
The next regular meeting of the Bureau Valley District Board of Education will be at 7 p.m. June 23 in the district administrative office in Manlius.