Fair
49°FFairFull Forecast

Street work coming to Spring Valley

Board looks at priorities

Published: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 4:07 p.m. CDT • Updated: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 4:12 p.m. CDT

SPRING VALLEY — As the summer weather rolls in, so does plans for street improvements throughout Spring Valley.

The 2014 Street Program is nearing completion, and as reported previously, alderman Chuck Hansen, chairman of the Streets and Alleys Committee, said each ward will have about $35,000 for improvements.

At Tuesday’s council meeting, Mike Richetta of Chamlin & Associates, sat down with the board to cover details about the street program. He discussed options on some road repairs, costs associated with the work and gave his recommendations about which direction to take on certain areas of the improvement plans.

It was pointed out the council could have leftover funds after repairs on the selected roads were completed. Hansen asked the board if they would approve spending $4,500 to help fund an added-on project to the plans.

The streets program shows the city would be repairing Strong Street, from Erie Street to Cleveland Street, but with the extra $4,500 the plans could tack on repairing the intersection between Cleveland Street and Dakota Street so that the entire strip — from Dakota Street to Erie Street — would be set.

It was pointed out the road was very well traveled due to Kirby Park in the area and is in bad shape, therefore the council leaned toward approving the expense.

Alderman Dan McFadden asked when the city crews could start street patching.

Street Superintendent Jeff Norton said it could be a month before he was able to get a crew together to start the work. It was pointed out that work being done on the west interceptor project, which is a project that sat two years on the back burner, is taking up a lot of they city crew’s time.

“Do we want to pull off of it, so we can fix the streets?” Alderman Dave Pellegrini asked. “Lets talk priorities.”

Richetta said his current numbers on the project are still all estimations and during his last check on the street program, it could be determined that $4,500 could pop out of his estimations. He said he should have final numbers by next week, and the council will then know for sure whether they will have to spend the extra money or not. The council should pass a resolution on the street program at next month’s meeting.

In other news, Police Chief Kevin Sangston reported the police department was asked to do a survey at the intersection of Minnesota and Richards streets to determine in the intersection should be changed from a two-way stop to a four-way stop.

He said it was the police department’s recommendation to make the change, due to the amount of pedestrians walking to and from Kirby Park and the limited sidewalks in the area. The board agreed to draw up an ordinance to make the change.

Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com.

More News

National Video