OGLESBY — Deborah Anderson, currently Dean of Arts and Sciences at Bay de Noc Community College in Escanaba, Mich., was appointed by the board June 12 as Illinois Valley Community College’s Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Following a national search, Anderson emerged from among 36 applicants because of her “strong knowledge of the accreditation process, ability to articulate academic vision, impressive teaching and learning focus, and strong relationships with faculty and administrators.”
She was formerly the assistant dean/campus director at Springfield College in Milwaukee and earned her Ph.D. in American Literature and master’s in English from Marquette University. She will begin work at IVCC Aug. 1.
In other business, the board approved:
• The fiscal 2015 contract of President Jerry Corcoran.
• Seeking bids for construction of an 18-spot, ADA-only parking lot near the front of the Peter Miller Community Technology Center for an estimated $280,000.
• Purchase of a medication administration system similar to those used in six district hospitals. The $30,547 units from Medical Shipment of Elk Grove Village will be paid through nursing program donations by Seattle Sutton ($10,000) and the Adele Bucar estate ($20,000).
• The purchase of mechatronics training systems from Advanced Technologies Consultants of Northville, Mich., and Aidex Corporation of Rossville, Ind. A $258,320 Advanced Technologies learning system will be paid for by the CTC capital campaign and the $122,690 portable Aidex system by the iNAM grant. Mechatronics is a hybrid of the electronics and industrial maintenance programs, said Sue Isermann, Interim Vice President for Learning and Student Development.
• The prevailing wage resolution for fiscal 2015 and authorization to continue payment for standard operating procedures from July 1 until the 2015 budget is adopted.
The board learned:
• The contract with Tri-City Vending and Foodservice has been extended through June 30, 2015.
• This spring, 488 graduates earned a total of 581 degrees and certificates compared to 546 earning 681 degrees and certificates a year ago.
• Following a successful first season, head baseball coach Jason Goode has had “interim” removed from his title.
• Erin Polte will replace Julie Sherbeyn as volleyball coach. Polte coached the Illinois Valley Volley Power, Graceland University (student athletic trainer) and Hall freshmen.
• Dental assisting program coordinator Theresa Lynch will resign effective July 24 to accept another position. Assessment Center assistant Marjorie Grzybowski will retire June 24 and assistant volleyball coach Samantha Deters will resign June 30.
• Career Services specialist Cathy Buck resigned June 5 and Reading, Writing and Study Skills Lab instructors Jeanette Maurice and Carol Krancic recently retired.
• The IVCC women’s tennis team finished 27th in the national tournament in El Paso, Texas in May.
• Human Services’ May 12 tribute to students and community partners was keynoted by Dean of Humanities and Fine Arts Brian Holloway.
• A May 30 leadership and core values retreat was organized by Glenna Jones, Bryan Clark, Angie Hartman, Jeanne Hayden, Polly Ragazincky, Cristina Sarabia, Connie Sprong and Sarah Trager.