Jim Barto III of Spring Valley had a memorable hole in one on June 18 at Spring Creek Golf Course.
By sinking a hole-in-one on the 197-yard, No. 13 hole, Barto became the 13th Spring Creek member to have a hole-in-one on the No. 13 hole in the 50-year history of the course, the first to do so off the No. 13 blue tees.
The feat was witnessed by Dick Snyder of LaSalle.
* * *
With the calendar turning to July, there will be a host of charity golf events around the area, including these:
• Jimmy D Golf Outing: The 32nd annual Jimmy D Golf Outing will be held July 13 at Spring Creek Golf Club and Deer Park Country in Oglesby. The event is named for James A. “Jimmy D” DeAngelo, who died in 1983 at the age of 37 after fighting cancer. It was the wish of Jimmy and his family to raise funds to help cancer patients.
Last year’s event raised $18,000 for area patients, and throughout the past 31 years, it has raised more than $638,000. This year’s proceeds will benefit the Esophageal and Colon Cancer Center under construction at St. Margaret’s Hospital in Spring Valley.
The committee is seeking hole sponsors for $100 and cart sponsors for $25. For more information about sponsorships, or to sign up to play golf in the event, call Diane Janz at 815-664-7260.
• Jay Braida Golf: The 2014 Jay Braida Golf Outing will be held July 12 at Chapel Hill Golf Course in Princeton. The event is sponsored by friends and family of Jay Braida, who passed away June 19, 2005, from melanoma.
The event was created in 2010 to help area residents in need. There is a need for hole and T-shirt sponsors.
This year’s recipient is Abbie Cochran of Princeton, poms coach at Princeton High School and an instructor at Main Street Dance Academy in Princeton. The mother of two young children was recently diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer and underwent a bilateral mastectomy. She is married to Matt Cochran.
All of the golfing spots have been filled. There are openings for dinner and sponsorships. Check-in is at 10:30 a.m. with a shotgun start at noon. Dinner will start at 6 p.m. with non-golfers welcome at a cost of $15 per person. There will be a silent auction.
For more information or to register, visit https://sites.google.com/site/jaybraidamemorialopem or find their Facebook page. You may also call 815-878-1861 or send an email to email@example.com.
• Red Cross Invite: The Bureau Valley Red Cross is playing host to its annual golf invitational on July 26 at Chapel Hill Golf Course in Princeton. Registration and lunch will begin at 11 a.m. and the shotgun start for the four-player team scramble formatted event will begin at 12:30 p.m. The fees are $30 for dinner and meet and greet only and $300 for a foursome to golf and $75 for an individual. The sponsorships range from $100-500.
Sponsorship opportunities are available, as well as bidding on a chance to golf with a former Chicago Bear such as Steve “Mongo” McMichael, Emery Moorehead or D’Wayne Bates.
For more information or to volunteer, contact Frankie Wolsfeld at 708-514-5135 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or Katy Olds at 815-509-1005 or email@example.com.
• Miracles Happen III Outing: The 5th annual Miracles Happen III Golf Outing will be held July 26 at Senica’s Oak Ridge Golf Course. Entry fee is $65 per golfer prior to July 19 and $75 after. Registration will start at noon with a 1 p.m. shot gun start. A chicken dinner and awards will follow at 6 p.m.
For more information, contact Jennifer or Steve Sines at 815-228-1574 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• SVWC golf outing: The Spring Valley Walleye Club 4-man golf scramble will be held at 7:30 a.m. Aug. 9 at Spring Creek Golf Course. The event includes cart, drinks and walleye lunch. Visit www.spring-valley-walleye.org for more details.
Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com.