MENDOTA — The very popular Sweet Corn Festival food contest, sponsored by Illinois Frame Inc. of Mendota, will take place on Aug. 9 of the Sweet Corn Festival seeking.
The Mendota Area Chamber of Commerce is looking for some creative cooks to serve up special dishes using sweet corn as the main ingredient.
Chairpersons of the food contest, Audrey Becker and Kathi Barnard, have begun preparations for this special event. Audrey has represented her employer, Del Monte Foods, as a judge for the contest in the past, and Kathi is a former contest prize winner, who has decided to participate on the “organizing side” of the event this year.
“There will be a grand prize winner and a runner-up chosen by the judges,” Becker said. “Prizes will also be awarded for queen’s choice, most creative and best presentation.
• Contestants must prepare the food ahead of time.
• All categories are open to all types of food dishes, as long as the main ingredient is sweet corn.
• Multiple entries from one contestant will be accepted, but only one award per contestant.
• All entries must be taken to the Mendota Elks Lodge, 707 Indiana Ave., Mendota. They can be dropped off between 1:15 and 1:45 p.m. Judging starts promptly at 2 p.m.
• All entries must bring a recipe card for the judges.
Applications are available at the Mendota Chamber Office, at www.sweetcornfestival.com or by calling 815-539-6507.