Kathy Farrell has watched her daughter, Katie, win her share of golf events. This time it was mom’s turn.
Farrell won the B Flight of the Morris Country Club Invitational on July 9. She carded a round of 92 for 18 holes,
“It was my first piece of crystal,” Farrell said.
Farrell said though her daughter was not on hand for her big moment, she was close by.
“Everything she taught me, I remembered,” Farrell said.
• Play with the Bears: The Bureau Valley Red Cross is playing host to its annual golf invitational on July 26 at Chapel Hill Golf Course in Princeton. Registration and lunch will begin at 11 a.m. and the shotgun start for the four-player team scramble formatted event will begin at 12:30 p.m. The fees are $30 for dinner and meet and greet only and $300 for a foursome to golf and $75 for an individual. The sponsorships range from $100-500.
Sponsorship opportunities are available, as well as bidding on a chance to golf with a former Chicago Bears such as Steve “Mongo” McMichael, Emery Moorehead or D’Wayne Bates.
For more information or to volunteer, contact Frankie Wolsfeld at 708-514-5135 or by email at email@example.com or Katy Olds at 815-509-1005 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• IVWGI coming to Green River: The 56th annual Illinois Valley Women’s Golf Invitational will be held on Sunday, Aug. 10 at Green River Country Club in Walnut. Entry fee is $65 and includes complimentary practice round green fee, tournament green fee and cart, food, trophies, awards and prizes. Complimentary practice round availability dates are July 28 and 30 and Aug. 1, 4 and 8.
Entry forms and fees should be mailed to Karen Anderson, GRCC, PO Box 103, Ohio, IL 61349. Requested return date is Aug. 2. For additional information contact Karen Anderson at 815-376-2913.
• GRCC Junior Invite: Green River will be hosting its Junior Golf Invitational on Sunday, July 27. The tournament is open to ages 6-18 with age groups to be divided. Tee time is 1 p.m. Entry fee is $10, including a snack and drink and prizes for winners.
To sign up, call GRCC at 815-379-2227.
• Miracles Happen III Outing: The fifth annual Miracles Happen III Golf Outing will be held July 26 at Senica’s Oak Ridge Golf Course. Entry fee is $65 per golfer prior to July 19 and $75 after. Registration will start at noon with a 1 p.m. shotgun start. A chicken dinner and awards will follow at 6 p.m.
For more information, contact Jennifer or Steve Sines at 815-228-1574 or email at email@example.com.
• SVWC golf outing: The Spring Valley Walleye Club 4-man golf scramble will be held at 7:30 a.m. Aug. 9 at Spring Creek Golf Course. Entry fee is $75 per golfer, including cart, drinks and walleye lunch. Forms are available at Spring Creek or at www.spring-valley-walleye.org. All proceeds will benefit the Illinois River Sauger stocking program.
• Chip shots: The 32nd annual Jimmy D Golf Day was held on July 13 at Deer Park Country Club in Oglesby and Spring Creek Golf Course in Spring Valley. The early-morning clouds parted and gave way to a sunny and wonderful golf day in support of this great cause in which 233 golfers participated. All proceeds from Jimmy D Golf Day will benefit the Esophageal and Colon Cancer Prevention Center at St. Margaret’s Hospital.
Comment on this story at www.bcrnews.com