Mostly Cloudy
20°FMostly CloudyFull Forecast

Pump-out grant headed to SV Boat Club

Published: Monday, July 28, 2014 4:49 p.m. CST

SPRING VALLEY — The Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) will build several inland pump-outs in coming months, which will include one at the Spring Valley Boat Club.

Other sites for the septic pump-out facilities will be identified later this year, according to an IDNR press release. The grant money will also be used to educate and offer information to the marinas and public on the benefits of the Clean Vessel Act and the importance of septic pump-outs.

The Spring Valley pump-out grant is part of a total of $16.6 million in grants to be awarded to 21 states under the Clean Vessel Act (CVA) program, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced Friday.

Since the first CVA awards were made in 1993, the service has awarded more than $200 million to states to fund construction, replacement, renovation and maintenance of facilities that assist recreational boaters in properly disposing of on-board septic waste, Service Director Dan Ashe said.

“Clean water is a fundamental need for both people and wildlife, and a perfect example of how the fates of both are intertwined,” Ashe said. “Clean Vessel Act grants not only help ensure that clean drinking water, sustainable ecosystems and healthy recreational areas are accessible to the American people, they also provide a substantial economic benefit for local communities. These grants are another fine example of the Fish and Wildlife Service’s commitment to ensuring our natural resources are conserved and protected for future generations.”

Funds for the CVA program are provided annually from the Sport Fish Restoration and Boating Trust Fund, which is maintained through the collection of fishing tackle manufacturer excise taxes and boat and fishing import duties, as well as motorboat and small engine fuel taxes. Funds are competitively disbursed to states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands and the U.S. Virgin Islands for up to 75 percent of project costs, with non-federal partners providing the remaining 25 percent.

More News

National Video