As many people prepare for summer vacations, make sure your home is protected. July is the third highest month for theft claims, according to State Farm Insurance data. Illinois ranked fourth for the number of those types of thefts in 2015. Below you will find tips on how to protect your home as well as State Farm Claims statistics.
The Top 10 states for home theft in 2015
1. California - 12,907 claims
2. Texas - 7,633 claims
3. Georgia - 5,533 claims
4. Illinois - 5,517 claims
5. Ohio - 3,938 claims
6. Arizona - 3,029 claims
7. North Carolina - 2,902 claims
8. Washington - 2,886 claims
9. Indiana - 2,862 claims
10. Tennessee - 2,786 claims
Home tips before you travel
• Don’t share your travel itinerary on social media.
• Ask your neighbor for a helping hand. A full mailbox is a dead giveaway that you’re gone.
• Store valuables in a safe deposit box.
• Trim trees and shrubs near the house. Keep shrubbery cut neat so the interior of your home is visible and burglars can’t hide undetected.
• Keep valuables away from windows.
• Install light timers.
• Set up motion sensors.
• Secure sliding doors.
• Unplug unnecessary appliances.
Source: State Farm.