TAMPICO — The Tampico Lions Club will hold an open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 16, at the Reagan Community Center, 202 W. Second St. in Tampico, in celebration of their 60th anniversary of second membership charter.
The first chapter of the Tampico Lions Club was in 1947 that was sponsored by the Prophetstown Lions Club, but the club disbanded and was again re-chartered Aug. 29, 1957.
The Tampico Lions Club has paid for eye glasses and exams for people in the Tampico area that are unable to afford this needed service for many years. The club has given many scholarships over the years and plaques with the students names will be displayed at the open house. The club has also sponsored the annual Tampico Homecoming parade for the past several years also. In memory of its deceased members, the club has a memorial gazebo on the corner of West Market Street and South Main Street with the deceased members names engraved on metal plates in the inside of the gazebo.
Fundraisers for these expenses are raised by having an annual pancake breakfast in March on the first Sunday of each year. The club sells roses each year also to help make money. Over the years people have been very generous in supporting the Tampico Lions Club and the open house is a way to thank the public for their support so they can support the local public in need.
For more information on the Tampico Lions Club, call Lion Dave Beck, membership chairperson, at 815-213-1202 or 815-438-4044.