Duck season opened up last Saturday and from what I have heard, it was pretty successful. This early in the season, there are quite a lot of species to be harvested. I talked to Chad VanderMeersch who hunts the Princeton Game and Fish Club and he told me that his family had a good shoot. He was especially proud of his daughter who dropped a couple of ducks. They also got one goose.
Members saw mallards, teal, and several pintails. I really like pintails because they seem to have a long gliding pattern. They lock in from quite a distance and are a beautiful sight as they glide into the decoys. They are so beautiful to watch. I believe the club harvested over 300 ducks over Saturday and Sunday. Several hunters stayed home Sunday due to the thunderstorm, but those who came did pretty good.
I will have to dig out my recipe books as these birds make palatable meal.
• Maybe I was rushing things too much, but I have been waiting for the leaves to turn to their fall colors this year. It seemed that they were going to stay green forever. Now they are starting to turn and we can all enjoy natures artwork. It is something we all can enjoy each year. Reds, oranges, and yellows adorn Bureau County.
• Hopefully, if the weather holds out, the PHS Sportsman's Club will have their annual fall trap shoot. Members try their shooting skills at the Kewanee range. Last year, a couple of boys shot over 20 clays. If they have never shot before, we have an instructor available to help them out. The members can also try their luck at skeet shooting also.
• I know it is a little early, we are trying to get names of anyone interested in going to Canada this year. If I get names, it helps me plan better. Last year, we had 44 people during our week. We had a great week due to the weather and fishing. So if you interested, give me a call. The dates have not been set yet it will probably be the first week of June.
• Eric Paull sent me a pic of a nice smallmouth he caught up at Green Bay. It was really a nice one. Smallmouths are good fighters and I'll bet he really had a good time with this one.
• A couple of friends told me that their sons got a deer during youth season this year. What a great event for fathers and sons to spend time together in the outdoors.
Lee Wahlgren is the BCR Outdoor Columnist. Contact him at email@example.com.