OGLESBY — Illinois Valley Symphony Orchestra Board President Andrea Kowalski has announced the IVSO 2018-19 concert season.
After beloved conductor Lucia Matos retired in May, a search committee was formed to find the next season’s maestro. The IVSO will have five highly skilled conductors this season — a different one for each subscription concert. Information about each conductor will be available before each concert and on the ivso.org website.
The five concerts and guest conductors of the 2018-19 season are as follows:
• At the Movies Family Pops Concert — Saturday, Sept. 22, 7 p.m., Illinois Valley Community College Dr. Mary Margaret Weeg Cultural Centre, Danko Drusko, conductor, and Ameena Khawaja, mezzo-soprano. An an evening of Disney Magic and Movies.
• Armistice at 100 — Sunday, Nov. 4, 3 p.m., LaSalle-Peru High School Matthiessen Auditorium, Chris Wild, conductor. “Plea for Peace” by Thomas, Ives Symphony No. 2, plus works by Faure and Elgar, with soprano soloist Jenilynn Roether.
• Winter Daydreams — Sunday, Dec. 9, 3 p.m., Ottawa High School Auditorium, Glenn Block, conductor. Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 1, plus music by Leroy Anderson, Alfred Reed, and a holiday singalong.
• Young Performers — Sunday, March 10, 2019, 3 p.m., LaSalle-Peru High School Matthiessen Auditorium, Emanuele Andrizzi, conductor. Performances by winners of the IVSO 2019 Young Performer’s Competition.
• Spring Concert — Saturday, May 4, 2019, 7 p.m., Illinois Valley Community College Dr. Mary Margaret Weeg Cultural Centre, Daniel Sommerville, conductor.
For more information, visit ivso.org. Admission to each concert is by season subscription or individual ticket, available at the door or online at ivso.org. Adult tickets are $20 and students K-12 are admitted free. College students with ID are $5. Season sponsors for the programs are Ning Communications and Ottawa Radio. The auditoriums are handicapped accessible.